Reprieve for Sonko as police officer withdraws assault case
Nairobi County Governor Mike Sonko is off the hook after the office of the DPP sought to withdraw assault case against the politician.
Coast Regional Police Commander Rashid Yakub on Tuesday filed the application after the police officer who had accused governor of assault said he is no longer interested to pursue the case.
The governor had appeared before a Voi court on Tuesday to be charged.
Sonko was to be arraigned on December 18 last year before senior resident magistrate Fredrick Nyakundi but his lawyers said he was unwell and on bed rest.
He was accused of assaulting the police officer at 12.30pm in the due execution of his duties contrary to section 103 of the National Police Service Act 2011.
The incident occurred on December 6, as the governor was being arrested at a roadblock in Voi over graft allegations at City Hall.
Sonko is still facing 19 charges of corruption, abuse of office and irregular payments that lost the county Sh357 million in Nairobi.